Digvijay Singh explains his visit to Azamgarh
Bhopal: Senior Congress leader Digvijay
Singh on Friday said his last week`s visit to Azamgarh in Uttar
Pradesh was aimed at taking on the Muslim fundamentalists who
were trying to misguide the minority community`s youth and
spreading falsehoods about the law-enforcing agencies.
"The communal and emotional tone of the Ulema Council
in Azamgarh was a cause of worry for all those who believe in
democracy," he said while talking to reporters here.
He explained the reasons behind his visit to Azamgarh,
where he met the families whose wards had been arrested in
connection with terror-related incidents in the last two
years. "When I met the affected families, I realised that in
spite of the passage of time they had certain misgivings."
The Congress General Secretary said there were a
series of meetings with local Muslims and Hindus and consensus
emerged that speedy and fair trial in the terror-related cases
was in everyone`s interest.
The former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister said nearly
50 cases had been slapped in over four states against several
Muslim youths on suspicion that they were involved in anti-
"I think there was a need to address this issue
through special courts and National Investigation Agency
(NIA)," Singh said, adding there should not be any witch-hunt
or setting up of false cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM