Digvijay Singh explains his visit to Azamgarh
Bhopal: Senior Congress leader Digvijay
Singh on Friday said his last week`s visit to Azamgarh in Uttar
Pradesh was aimed at taking on the Muslim fundamentalists who
were trying to misguide the minority community`s youth and
spreading falsehoods about the law-enforcing agencies.
"The communal and emotional tone of the Ulema Council
in Azamgarh was a cause of worry for all those who believe in
democracy," he said while talking to reporters here.
He explained the reasons behind his visit to Azamgarh,
where he met the families whose wards had been arrested in
connection with terror-related incidents in the last two
years. "When I met the affected families, I realised that in
spite of the passage of time they had certain misgivings."
The Congress General Secretary said there were a
series of meetings with local Muslims and Hindus and consensus
emerged that speedy and fair trial in the terror-related cases
was in everyone`s interest.
The former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister said nearly
50 cases had been slapped in over four states against several
Muslim youths on suspicion that they were involved in anti-
"I think there was a need to address this issue
through special courts and National Investigation Agency
(NIA)," Singh said, adding there should not be any witch-hunt
or setting up of false cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC