Digvijay Singh hits out at BJP on Telangana
New Delhi: With Congress likely to give its nod to carving out of a separate state from Andhra Pradesh, party leader Digvijay Singh on Monday attacked BJP, accusing it of "rejecting the idea of Telangana" in 2000.
Admitting that it was "not an easy decision", Singh said everyone one has been heard on the issue and their view points have been taken into account a "final decision would be announced tomorrow".
Another senior party leader speaking separately on condition of anonymity said that his personal view is that Telangana fulfills the criteria for being made a separate state as there is popular demand for it in the region and it can sustain itself economically.
Talking to reporters, Singh said that in case of Telangana "widest consultations have been held on the issue. And now a decision has to be taken and it will be taken."
Responding to the BJP`s charge that Congress was dilly-dallying on the matter, Singh shot back "that is why Advani refused to entertain the requests in 2000 regarding Telangana.
"That is why they rejected the idea of Telangana. ...It is a factual fact that they had rejected the demand for Telangana. They did not even refer it to state assembly (for a resolution)," he said to a news channel in response to a volley of questions.
There is a view in a section of the party that granting separate statehood to the state has now become a political complusion and that creation of the new state will make up to a large extent for the losses Congress could otherwise suffer in the state in the next general elections.
Singh, however, maintained "it`s not a question of Congress gaining or losing. It`s a decision that has to be taken looking at the over-all situation and in the national interest and in the interest of the state."
Another leader, who had been in favour of Telangana for many years, said on condition of anonymity that while separate statehood cannot be granted in all cases, two to three including Telangana are deserving ones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read