Digvijay Singh`s family turns against him over affair with TV anchor Amrita Rai
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh`s acknowledgement of his relationship with TV anchor Amrita Rai on Twitter has opened a new chapter of discord in his royal family.
Singh may have tagged himself “not coward as Narendra Modi” as he disclosed his relationship with Rai in public, the chhoti rani of Raghaogarh fort has another story to tell.
On microblogging website Twitter, the wife of Laxman Singh, the younger brother of former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Digvijay Singh, tweeted:
@GuruGaryGr8 reason i am angry is digvijaya ji opposed me marrying his brother bcause i am 13 yr younger to him and not a rajput! Ironical !
— rubina sharma singh (@rubyssingh) May 1, 2014
Speaking to a daily, Rubina Sharma Singh referred to a time when she and Laxman Singh`s wife Jagriti were undergoing chemotherapy at a Delhi hospital. Thirteen years younger than Laxman, the duo married in 2002 after his wife passed away. She revealed that Digvijay was fiercely opposed to the marriage.
“Even Laxman’s daughter, 13 years younger to me from his first wife, was instigated against me. Now when Digvijayaji marries Amrita, his daughters will all be older than his new wife,” Rubina was quoted as saying.
This is not the first time the outspoken Rubina has made anti-Digvijay remarks.
When Laxman Singh had shifted to the BJP, the sister of fashion czar Rohit Bal, pointing out at Digvijay, had told a newspaper in 2004: “We are not the first or the last family where members have opted for different political ideology. Look at the Scindias and see how they conduct themselves.”
On April 30, Digvijay Singh acknowledged his relationship with Rai on Twitter after intimate photographs of the two appeared on the social networking site. He said he plans to wed Rai soon. Notably, Singh`s wife had passed away in February last year after battling cancer. His son is Jaivardhan Singh, a legislator from Madhya Pradesh`s Raghogarh, and he also has four daughters.
Twitter was abuzz with news of the revelation of the affair between Singh, 67, a former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, and Rai.
Singh had also posted two tweets, acknowledging the relationship with Rai.
"I have no hesitation in accepting my relationship with Amrita Rai. She and her husband have already filed a mutual consent divorce case."
"Once that is decided we would formalise it. But I do condemn encroachment in our private life," he posted.
Rai had separately tweeted: "I have separated from my husband and we have filed a mutual consent divorce papers. After which I have decided to marry with Digvijaya Singh."
Twitteratti posted comments, mostly snide ones, after the couple came out in the open about their relationship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan