Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha cremated
Raghogarh: The mortal remains of Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha was on Friday consigned to flames at Dheerpur-based Charbagh, which is the family`s private funeral ground near Raghogarh.
The funeral pyre was lit by Digvijay`s son, Jaiwardhan Singh exactly at 1.30 PM in the presence of large number of people who had come from Raghogarh, Guna district and rest of Madhya Pradesh, to pay their last respects.
Raghogarh is an erstwhile princely state and was ruled by Singh`s family. Prominent among those who were present included Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav, Union Ministers Kamal Nath and Jyotiraditya Scindia, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh and large number of Congress MLAs.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and former Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa, State BJP President Narendra Singh Tomar went to Digvijay`s residence at Raghogarh fort to pay their condolences.
The Congress General Secretary will now stay in Raghogarh till the 13th day ceremony of his wife gets over. Asha Singh died after battling cancer for nearly three years on February 27 in New Delhi.
Her mortal remains were brought to Raghogarh by road from the capital. Sources close to Singh said that though Vice President Hamid Ansari and a host of other Governors and Chief Ministers wanted to attend the funeral of his wife, but he personally requested them not to come on the occasion as it was not possible to make necessary security and other arrangements for them on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border