Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha cremated
Raghogarh: The mortal remains of Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha was on Friday consigned to flames at Dheerpur-based Charbagh, which is the family`s private funeral ground near Raghogarh.
The funeral pyre was lit by Digvijay`s son, Jaiwardhan Singh exactly at 1.30 PM in the presence of large number of people who had come from Raghogarh, Guna district and rest of Madhya Pradesh, to pay their last respects.
Raghogarh is an erstwhile princely state and was ruled by Singh`s family. Prominent among those who were present included Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav, Union Ministers Kamal Nath and Jyotiraditya Scindia, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh and large number of Congress MLAs.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and former Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa, State BJP President Narendra Singh Tomar went to Digvijay`s residence at Raghogarh fort to pay their condolences.
The Congress General Secretary will now stay in Raghogarh till the 13th day ceremony of his wife gets over. Asha Singh died after battling cancer for nearly three years on February 27 in New Delhi.
Her mortal remains were brought to Raghogarh by road from the capital. Sources close to Singh said that though Vice President Hamid Ansari and a host of other Governors and Chief Ministers wanted to attend the funeral of his wife, but he personally requested them not to come on the occasion as it was not possible to make necessary security and other arrangements for them on Friday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference