Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha cremated
Raghogarh: The mortal remains of Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh`s wife Asha was on Friday consigned to flames at Dheerpur-based Charbagh, which is the family`s private funeral ground near Raghogarh.
The funeral pyre was lit by Digvijay`s son, Jaiwardhan Singh exactly at 1.30 PM in the presence of large number of people who had come from Raghogarh, Guna district and rest of Madhya Pradesh, to pay their last respects.
Raghogarh is an erstwhile princely state and was ruled by Singh`s family. Prominent among those who were present included Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav, Union Ministers Kamal Nath and Jyotiraditya Scindia, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh and large number of Congress MLAs.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and former Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa, State BJP President Narendra Singh Tomar went to Digvijay`s residence at Raghogarh fort to pay their condolences.
The Congress General Secretary will now stay in Raghogarh till the 13th day ceremony of his wife gets over. Asha Singh died after battling cancer for nearly three years on February 27 in New Delhi.
Her mortal remains were brought to Raghogarh by road from the capital. Sources close to Singh said that though Vice President Hamid Ansari and a host of other Governors and Chief Ministers wanted to attend the funeral of his wife, but he personally requested them not to come on the occasion as it was not possible to make necessary security and other arrangements for them on Friday.
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah