Digvijay steps up attack on BJP on Asaram issue
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Thursday kept up the attack on BJP on the Asaram Bapu issue saying it wanted death penalty for rapists living in slums, but pardon for "fake godmen who molest or rape".
"BJP defeats itself always! Wants death penalty for rapists living in slums, & pardon for fake God men who molest or rape. What logic?!?!?!?!", the Congress general secretary said on the microblogging site Twitter without directly mentioning Asaram.
Yesterday also, Singh had accused BJP of having double standards on the issue.
At the AICC briefing too, party spokesman Raj Babbar gave more than ample hints that BJP was backing the beleaguered self-styled godman Asaram Bapu who is in the eye of a sexual assault controversy.
Babbar said members and leaders of a particular party had been eloquent after the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case seeking even death sentence for those involved, but now "there has not been a word from the Leader of the Opposition", Babbar said in an obvious reference to Sushma Swaraj.
Apparently in reference to the statements of some BJP leaders, he said that they showed that who has been backing and protecting the self-styled godman.
He brushed aside Asaram`s move to drag Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul into the sexual assault controversy surrounding him, alleging it was at their instance that he has been framed.
"Asaram calls himself a saint. Saints are men of wisdom and thought. They always speak with humility and they do not level charges against others, it is not in their nature," Babbar said having a dig at the self-styled godman.
"I am not against any party but people tell me that it is at the instance of madam and her son that this is happening. For four-years-and-a-half those behind (religious) conversions are getting their support," Asaram said in Bhopal without naming Sonia or Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside