New Delhi: Congress General Secretary
Digvijay Singh on Saturday landed himself in a blazing row with
remarks on 26/11 terror strikes that riled the BJP and forced
the Congress to distance itself from him.
Singh, who had on earlier occasions made statements
that the party had not not fully backed, stoked a fresh
controversy saying that the slain Mumbai ATS chief Hemant
Karkare had told him hours before the 26/11 terror strikes
that he feared for his safety from Hindu extremists.
Immediately, he came under attack from the BJP, which
condemned his controversial remarks and sought an explanation
from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia
But Congress was quick to distance itself from Singh`s
remarks, which also came under attack from JD-U and Shiv Sena.
A defensive Singh then retracted and said that he did
not say that RSS was behind the incident, nor had he
questioned the incident. "26/11 is not the Operation by a
Hindu Group", he said.
Singh had earlier claimed that Karkare had talked
about a threat to his life from those opposed to his probe
into the Malegaon blast in which Hindu extremists were
"When I called him he said, he was receiving some
threat calls. He did not know who was calling. An article was
published in a magazine linked to RSS against his son. It
alleged that his son had got some Rs 50 crore contract from
Dubai while his son was just 17-years-old," the AICC leader
Reports had it that the Congress leader had made
similar remarks during an interaction in a book release
function in the national capital a few days back.
Party general secretary Janardan Dwivedi, when asked
to comment on Singh`s remarks, said, "It is regarding a
conversation between two individuals. Unfortunately one of
them Karkare is no more with us. So Digvijay Singh will be in
a better position to comment on his statement."