Digvijay takes dig at SC`s `caged parrot` observation for CBI
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Monday took a dig at the Supreme Court over its observation that CBI was a "caged parrot", suggesting the description was "belittling" the country`s institutions.
Singh`s veiled criticism of the judiciary was quickly condemned by the opposition BJP which advised the AICC General Secretary to "learn and understand" why there were a "series of scams" in the UPA government instead of "blaming the judiciary".
"By calling CBI a parrot in cage, then a Central Administrative Bench in Bangalore calling the IB a chicken... Now I have a question to the people in general. Are we not belittling our institutions? That`s it.
"I want you to respond. I will request you to try and get access to all those who are calling our institutions chicken or parrot. You should take reaction from them also," Singh told reporters here.
Singh later said the Supreme Court has to be respected and that he had the greatest regard for judiciary.
"And in my political career, I have never sort of belittled the judiciary.
But then my only request to the judiciary is that the off-the-cuff observations unfortunately create headlines and at the same time the person against whom the the remarks are made doesn`t have the opportunity to appeal against these observations," he said.
Singh`s remarks came against the backdrop of the recent stinging criticism of the CBI by the apex court which said the investigating agency was a "caged parrot in its master`s voice."
BJP lost no time in launching an attack on the Congress leader for "blaming the highest judiciary".
"If the morale of the CBI has been downgraded, it is only because of the rank abuse of the CBI by the Government. CBI was deliberately not allowed to take up fair investigation.
"Otherwise the minister of his (UPA) government would not have sought to weaken the import of the CBI`s entire investigations in the coalgate. Why it was done because the Prime Minister was involved in the coalgate scam," BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad alleged.
Holding that it is the duty of the SC to ensure a fair investigation in a "massive case of corruption", he said that "instead of blaming the highest judiciary, it is important for Digvijay Singh to learn and understand as to why there are a series of scams one after another in this government and can we know that there will be no scam again in the coming months."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!