Dikshit makes strong pitch for making Rahul PM
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday made a strong pitch for making Rahul Gandhi the prime minister of the country and asked Congress workers to do everything possible to see that the party vice president occupies the top post after the Lok Sabha polls next year.
Addressing a gathering of Congress workers, she said all party workers will have to forget their differences and make "sacrifices" in the next 10 months to see that the Gandhi scion becomes the prime minister.
"We should not forget the sacrifice made by Sonia Gandhi. Nobody has sacrificed so much for the party like her. We will have to repay the debt. We will have to make Rahul Gandhi the prime minister. For that to happen we all have to make sacrifice. We will have to help him occupy the post," she said.
Appealing to party workers to start preparations for the Lok Sabha polls scheduled to be held in April, Dikshit said they will have to make ground for convincing Rahul to become prime minister as he was reluctant for it.
"Please take a resolve that you will make all possible sacrifice to make the ground for Rahul Gandhi. We get energy from him. There may be differences among us but we will have to leave them aside to reach our destination," she said.
AICC general secretaries Janardan Dwivedi and Shakeel Ahmed, DPCC president J P Aggarwal, all Delhi Ministers and senior DPCC leaders were present at the function, organised to felicitate Ahmed, the newly appointed party in-charge of Delhi.
Exhorting party workers to work unitedly for ensuring an unprecedented fourth straight victory in assembly polls in Delhi, Dikshit said the result of the polls in the national capital, which is a "mini India", has greater significance as it reflects the "overall trend" in the country.
"If Congress wins in Delhi, then it becomes almost clear that Congress will win in the country," she said.
Dikshit also took a dig at opposition parties and said only Congress can ensure a stable government at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace