Dikshit meets Shinde, says rationalise VIP security
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and urged him to ensure rationalisation of police deployment, including for VIP security, and setting up a separate authority to look into complaints against personnel.
"VIPs should not be made an excuse for ordinary citizens to feel insecure," Dikshit told reporters after the meeting.
Dikshit, who went to Shinde`s residence along with all her Cabinet colleagues, also urged the Home Minister to ensure that policemen are deployed on public transport for ensuring safety of women.
The Chief Minister rushed to Shinde`s residence immediately after presiding over an emergency Cabinet meeting which expressed serious concerns about the prevailing law and order situation in the Capital following violent protests at India Gate against the gangrape of a young girl.
Sources said the Cabinet felt that concrete measures must be taken to instill confidence among women in the city.
At her meeting with Shinde, the Chief Minister asked him to ensure that Police Commissioner, Lt Governor and Home Ministry immediately put a mechanism to prevent recurrence of incidents like the gang-rape of a 23-year old girl in a moving bus in the capital.
Since the confidence in law and order machinery is shaken, she said, steps must be taken for restoration of the same.
"Various measures like increased patrolling to visibility of policing and rationalisation of deployment by reassessing and reducing non-operational deployment, including VIP security, should be taken.
"There is a need to set up a Police Complaint Authority to look into complaints against personnel. There is also a need for fast track courts for time-bound disposal of cases," she told Shinde.
She also demanded that strict and immediate action be taken against officers and personnel responsible for dereliction of duty in connection with the rape incident.
Police should be made accountable and responsive, she said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict
- Check out pic: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's “Star Wars” meeting!
- AgustaWestland deal: Congress says govt trying to vilify its leaders
- Arvind Kejriwal admits for first time, odd-even not a long-term remedy
- European Central Bank scraps 500-euro note