Dikshit should explain move to amend Gurudwara Act: Badal
Khiala (Jalandhar): Terming the move to amend the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act as an "ill-conceived" one, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday asked Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to explain the rationale behind the step.
"Before questioning the role of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in the affairs of Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC), the Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit must explain the rationale behind their ill-conceived move of amending the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act, 1971, enacted by the Parliament of India," Badal told reporters here.
SAD had every right to participate in the affairs of the DSGMC "because we had fought valiantly in the Gurudwara Reforms movement," he said, adding that the party`s leaders had made "sacrifices" after which the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee (SGPC) could be constituted.
The Delhi Chief Minister should not "forget" that SAD was contesting the DSGMC elections ever since its inception due to which they were fully entitled to raise voice against "any interference by the government in the religious affairs of the Sikhs," he said.
The proposed amendment by the Congress government at Delhi was a direct onslaught on the rights of Sikhs, Badal alleged while also saying that he has raised the matter with the Prime Minister and urged him to desist the government from taking this "disastrous step."
Dikshit had on Saturday told reporters in Ludhiana that Badal "should not interfere in the affairs of Delhi Gurdwara elections."
She had also strongly refuted the charge that the Delhi government had anything to do with the violent clash that took place at Gurdwara Rakabganj Delhi on Thursday.
Badal also alleged that DSGMC Chief Paramjeet Singh Sarna was the `B` team of the Congress.
"Ulterior motive of the Delhi government behind the proposed amendment is to further delay the General Elections of DSGMC, which were scheduled to take place in January last year," he accused.
The proposed amendment, which would pave way for the direct election of the president of DSGMC, was in contrast to the basic spirit of the Constitution as there was no provision for a direct election of president in any of the elected constitutional bodies in the country, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly