Dilip Trivedi is new CRPF chief, says Naxals pose biggest challenge
New Delhi: CRPF faces its biggest challenge in Naxal areas and will focus on minimising troop casualities as it takes on the Left wing extremists, the new chief of the country`s largest paramilitary said here on Saturday.
Senior IPS officer Dilip Trivedi today took over as the Director General (DG) of the force which is in the thick of the action against Maoists in various parts of the country.
Trivedi, a 1978-batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, was till now serving as the Special DG of the BSF at its headquarters here.
"The biggest challenge for the force is in the Left Wing Extremism theatre and we will aim to minimise the damage on our side while inflicting as much as we can on the Naxals," Trivedi said after taking over the new assignment.
The new chief, who had experience working in paramilitary forces like BSF and ITBP earlier in his career, said there are other challenges also for the three-lakh strong force like Jammu and Kashmir, North East, variety of duties in the internal security domain and the forthcoming Assembly polls in few states and the general elections.
Trivedi, in his early days in the Indian Police Service, has served in various positions in Uttar Pradesh police and at the Centre as ADG of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police before going to the Border Security Force.
The new DG was given a ceremonial `guard of honour` before he took charge at the CRPF headquarters here.
The post of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) DG fell vacant on July 31 after incumbent chief Pranay Sahay retired. NSG chief Arvind Ranjan was given the additional charge by the Union Home Ministry.
The CRPF is the mainstay for anti-Maoist operations in the country and is also deployed extensively in the country to render a variety of internal security duties including VIP security.
132 of its personnel were in killed in anti-Naxal operations in 2010, 26 in 2011 and 37 last year while hundreds of its personnel were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today