Dim prospects of end to deadlock on JPC probe into 2G spectrum
New Delhi: Prospects of an immediate end to
the deadlock in Parliament over the JPC probe into 2G spectrum
scam today appeared dim with the Opposition and government
remaining firm in their respective positions for and against
such an inquiry on the eve of an all-party meeting tomorrow.
While there was no official word about any new proposal
from the government to end the stalemate and `save` the coming
Budget session of Parliament, Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, today questioned the logic behind the Opposition`s
The standoff had washed out virtually the entire winter
session of Parliament.
Mukherjee, who has convened tomorrow`s meeting, said
setting up of JPC would only lead to duplication of probe into
the 2G spectrum scam.
Striking a similar note, Congress, leading the coalition
at the Centre, stuck to its opposition to the formation of
Party spokesman Shakeel Ahmed hoped "there may be other
options available...We should be optimistic that Parliament
will function smoothly...Better sense will prevail and things
will be sorted out amicably".
BJP and Left parties are united on the demand for JPC.
The Left contention is that the arrest of former Telecom
Minister A Raja and findings of the Shivraj Patil Committee
have reinforced the demand for JPC into the 2G spectrum
"We want the House to function. Whether the House will
function or not, that is the responsibility of the government.
If it remains obdurate like it remains now that there is no
JPC, the responsibility of functioning of Parliament is on the
government," CPI-M Parliamentary Party leader Sitaram Yechury
Asked whether the Left would agree to have a discussion
in Parliament on the need for a JPC probe, he said there was
no such proposal from the government in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre