Din in assembly over govt not recommending suicide case to CBI
Shimla: Opposition Congress today staged a
walkout in Himachal Pradesh Assembly over the state government
not recommending a CBI probe into a case of suicide by a girl
in which an FIR has been lodged against a senior police
officer of the state.
State Congress Chief and MLA Kaul Singh Thakur, through a
calling attention motion, raised the demand for a CBI probe
into the suicide of 27-year-old Ritu Kalmotia but Chief
Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal turned it down saying the state CID
was looking into the case which could be recommended to the
premier investigative agency if need be.
The girl, who was teaching in a private B-Ed college in
the Queen of Hills, had hanged herself at her home in Tutu on
Sunday after her marriage with Siddarth Sarpal, a sub-judge
and son of Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Pardeep
Kumar Sarpal was turned down by the IG`s family.
On the basis of a complaint by the girl`s family, an FIR
was lodged with the Boileaganj police station in Shimla on
Monday last against the IG, his wife and son for abetment to
suicide and destroying evidence from the scene.
Seeing the sensitivity of the case, Director General of
Police G S Gill transferred it from district police to
the state CID and entrusted the task of probe to IG (CID) O C
The BJP MLA alleged that call details of the girl`s
mobile suggested she had talks with the boy before taking the
He questioned the rationale of handing over the probe to
a police officer of the same rank (IG) who, he claimed, would
not do justice to the inquiry.
Thakur also mentioned about 24 similar cases pending
with the state women`s commission and asked the government to
take an exemplary step by referring the suicide case to CBI.
Dhumal, who also holds the Home portfolio, said the
state government would not spare anyone.
He said in case the victim`s family was not satisfied
with CID probe report it would be referred to the CBI.
On reference of 24 other similar cases of love affairs
going sour lying with the state women commission, Dhumal said
how come the government ban love relations between youngsters.
Dissatisfied with the CM`s reply, Leader of the
Opposition Vidya Stokes rose from her seat to make a point but
speaker Tulsi Ram did not allow her on the ground the motion
was brought by Thakur and only he could speak.
On this Congress MLAs walked out shouting anti-government
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?