Dinakaran row: Sikkim lawyers seek CM`s cooperation
Gangtok: Sikkim lawyers, agitating against former Karnataka High Court Chief Justice PD Dinakaran`s transfer here in the same capacity, has sought Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling `cooperation` to stall the posting.
"We met the chief minister and submitted to him yesterday
a copy of the resolution adopted by Sikkim Bar Association
members against the transfer of Justice Dinakaran here and
solicited his support for the campaign on the issue," its
president DR Thapa told a news agency here.
"We also explained to the chief minister how the
transfer of Justice Dinakaran, who has been mired with land
grabbing and other charges, may affect the integrity of the
judicial institutions in Sikkim," he said.
Asked, Thapa said the chief minister received a copy of
the bar association resolution but did not make any comment.
The association members will also meet acting Governor
MK Narayanan on April 14 to seek his help to stall
Dinakaran`s transfer to Sikkim.
They would also seek an appointment with President
Pratibha Patil, who is tentatively scheduled to arrive here on
a three-day visit from April 14, to request her not to send
the controversial judge to Sikkim.
The lawyers had earlier decided to boycott the
swearing-in of Dinakaran as well as the courts to be presided
over by him in the event of his transfer to Sikkim.
The bar members had adopted a resolution to oppose
Dinakaran`s transfer to Sikkim and faxed copies of it to the
President, Vice-President, Prime Minister and Chief Justice of
India for corrective action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy