Dinakaran row: Sikkim lawyers seek CM`s cooperation
Gangtok: Sikkim lawyers, agitating against former Karnataka High Court Chief Justice PD Dinakaran`s transfer here in the same capacity, has sought Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling `cooperation` to stall the posting.
"We met the chief minister and submitted to him yesterday
a copy of the resolution adopted by Sikkim Bar Association
members against the transfer of Justice Dinakaran here and
solicited his support for the campaign on the issue," its
president DR Thapa told a news agency here.
"We also explained to the chief minister how the
transfer of Justice Dinakaran, who has been mired with land
grabbing and other charges, may affect the integrity of the
judicial institutions in Sikkim," he said.
Asked, Thapa said the chief minister received a copy of
the bar association resolution but did not make any comment.
The association members will also meet acting Governor
MK Narayanan on April 14 to seek his help to stall
Dinakaran`s transfer to Sikkim.
They would also seek an appointment with President
Pratibha Patil, who is tentatively scheduled to arrive here on
a three-day visit from April 14, to request her not to send
the controversial judge to Sikkim.
The lawyers had earlier decided to boycott the
swearing-in of Dinakaran as well as the courts to be presided
over by him in the event of his transfer to Sikkim.
The bar members had adopted a resolution to oppose
Dinakaran`s transfer to Sikkim and faxed copies of it to the
President, Vice-President, Prime Minister and Chief Justice of
India for corrective action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- BJP workers protest against erratic water, power supply in Delhi
- 'China wants to extend its Nepal rail link to India'
- Senate panel conditions $300 mn aid to Pakistan for action on Haqqani
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in Eliminator - Preview
- Asaduddin Owaisi vs common man: High-voltage verbal spat over Akbaruddin Owaisi's comments against Hindus