Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab
Kolkata: Former Railways Minister and Trinamool Congress`s member of parliament (MP) Dinesh Trivedi on Friday congratulated union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for being nominated as the presidential candidate of the ruling UPA.
"I congratulate Pranab-da for being nominated as the presidential candidate. He is a politician and an administrator par excellence. He deserves this. I am very happy personally," said Trivedi, who was replaced by Mukul Roy as railway minister after he annoyed Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee by raising the rail fare.
Pranab Mukherjee, the central government`s most reliable trouble shooter, was on Friday named the United Progressive Alliance`s (UPA)candidate for the presidency and found backing from many political parties, including the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
On Wednesday, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh had, along with Mamata Banerjee, virtually rejected Mukherjee, whom Congress president Sonia Gandhi suggested for presidency during her talks with Banerjee.
But in less than 48 hours, the Samajwadi Party on Friday did a U-turn, and announced it would support Mukherjee as the country`s president.
When asked about the future of Banerjee in the UPA, a guarded Trivedi said: "I cannot say anything about it. But as far as I know Mamata-di, she is a very emotional person. I would not be surprised if Mamata-di announces her support for Pranab-da. I foresee a patch-up between them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America