Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab
Kolkata: Former Railways Minister and Trinamool Congress`s member of parliament (MP) Dinesh Trivedi on Friday congratulated union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for being nominated as the presidential candidate of the ruling UPA.
"I congratulate Pranab-da for being nominated as the presidential candidate. He is a politician and an administrator par excellence. He deserves this. I am very happy personally," said Trivedi, who was replaced by Mukul Roy as railway minister after he annoyed Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee by raising the rail fare.
Pranab Mukherjee, the central government`s most reliable trouble shooter, was on Friday named the United Progressive Alliance`s (UPA)candidate for the presidency and found backing from many political parties, including the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
On Wednesday, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh had, along with Mamata Banerjee, virtually rejected Mukherjee, whom Congress president Sonia Gandhi suggested for presidency during her talks with Banerjee.
But in less than 48 hours, the Samajwadi Party on Friday did a U-turn, and announced it would support Mukherjee as the country`s president.
When asked about the future of Banerjee in the UPA, a guarded Trivedi said: "I cannot say anything about it. But as far as I know Mamata-di, she is a very emotional person. I would not be surprised if Mamata-di announces her support for Pranab-da. I foresee a patch-up between them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...