Dinsha Patel hopes Mines Bill will be passed in Winter Session
New Delhi: Mines Minister Dinsha Patel, who has been elevated to Cabinet rank, today expressed the hope that new Mines Bill will be passed in the Winter Session of Parliament paving way for development of tribal areas besides curbing illegal mining.
"The draft MMDR Bill is with the Standing Committee. I am hopeful that it will be passed in the Winter Session. Once it becomes a legislation, it would result in the development of tribal areas," he said.
Before today`s Cabinet reshuffle in which he was elevated to Cabinet rank, Patel was Minister of State with Independent Charge in the same ministry.
Patel, who represents Kheda constituency in Gujarat, has previously held many portfolios, including MoS in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Ministry.
The Mines and Mineral Development and Regulation (MMDR) Bill, 2011 provides for 26 per cent profit-sharing by coal miners with project- affected people. The Bill also provides for 100 per cent royalty to the state government by non-coal miners.
Patel said once the Bill becomes law, it would pave way for development of the far-flung tribal areas as it has provision for district development through profit-sharing.
The royalty too would almost double benefiting the state governments, he said.
"The new Bill has provisions to curb illegal mining and I am confident that it would check the menace," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’