Diplomat does not enjoy immunity: US State Dept
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The standoff over the arrest of Indian Deputy Consul General Devyani Khobragade in New York continued on Saturday with the US State department reportedly stating that she was not covered by the Vienna convention on consular relations.
The reaction from the US came after Khobragade was arrested and handcuffed in public on visa fraud charges.
Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh on Friday summoned US Ambassador to India Nancy Powell to convey India`s "shock" over "absolutely unacceptable" treatment meted out to Khobragade.
Khobragade, 39, was on Thursday arrested and later released on a USD 250,000 bond after pleading not guilty in court.
She was taken into custody on a street as she was dropping her daughter to school at 9 am yesterday after the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, India-born Preet Bharara, announced charges of visa fraud against her.
Bharara alleged that Khobragade made false statements in a visa application for an Indian national employed as a babysitter and housekeeper at her home in New York.
While Khobragade is Deputy Consul General at the Consulate here, she was serving as its acting head at the time of her arrest.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured