`Direct benefits transfer scheme appreciated by people`
Puducherry: Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy on Sunday said the planned direct cash transfer scheme to be rolled out from January 1, 2013 has been welcomed by people for its advantageous features.
He said the scheme will ensure that the leakages can be plugged and money reaches directly to the targeted beneficiaries.
"It was evolved as there were complaints that while implementing schemes involving subsidies to eradicate poverty, the funds provided were not properly reaching the targeted sections," he told reporters here.
Puducherry has also been included in the plan.
On Dec 14, the PMO had asked ministries to take up implementation of scheme on a "war footing" before its launch on January 1.
It also asked them to organise camps to fast pace enrolment under Aadhaar for the purpose.
The Centre plans to provide direct cash transfers of benefits in 34 schemes in the selected 51 districts.
Narayanasamy charged the ruling AINRC here for trying to get civic polls put off as it had performed badly on several counts.
They are in a dilemma as they are not able to fulfil the promises held out to people, he said.
Soon after the present Parliament session is over, a home ministry team will arrive here to review the law and order situation which is "in the doldrums," Narayanasamy said, adding that he had already briefed Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde about it.
The Union minister blamed the AINRC government for "failing" to implement the MoU the Puducherry government had inked in 2007 with the then Union Panchayati Raj Minister Mani Shanker Aiyar for devolution of powers to civic bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog