Disabled need to be treated more sensitively: Kumari Selja
New Delhi: People with disabilities must be given equal opportunities to contribute to society and treated more sensitively, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Kumari Selja said here Thursday.
"People with disability must be given opportunities to contribute equally to the society... As a society, all of us have to become sensitive partners with the disabled people," Selja said.
The minister was speaking at the National Convention for Youth with Disabilities organised by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People. The event saw participation from disabled students from various colleges and universities across the country.
Calling the disabled students "future role models", Selja said they would have to excel in whatever field they opt for to become its brand ambassadors.
"Your story will create awareness and help break stereotypes that charity and sympathy are related to disability," she said.
She added that people in India are not as sensitive towards the disabled and even within families the disabled member is considered as a burden.
Speaking about the welfare measures, Selja said her ministry has urged the government to allocate in the 12th Five Year Plan document three percent of the total resources to the disabled.
"Major expansions" will take place under the 12th Plan document that includes preventing discrimination against disabled people at work place and providing them loans for education as well as buying assistive devices like screen readers or artificial lenses, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends