Disabled need to be treated more sensitively: Kumari Selja
New Delhi: People with disabilities must be given equal opportunities to contribute to society and treated more sensitively, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Kumari Selja said here Thursday.
"People with disability must be given opportunities to contribute equally to the society... As a society, all of us have to become sensitive partners with the disabled people," Selja said.
The minister was speaking at the National Convention for Youth with Disabilities organised by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People. The event saw participation from disabled students from various colleges and universities across the country.
Calling the disabled students "future role models", Selja said they would have to excel in whatever field they opt for to become its brand ambassadors.
"Your story will create awareness and help break stereotypes that charity and sympathy are related to disability," she said.
She added that people in India are not as sensitive towards the disabled and even within families the disabled member is considered as a burden.
Speaking about the welfare measures, Selja said her ministry has urged the government to allocate in the 12th Five Year Plan document three percent of the total resources to the disabled.
"Major expansions" will take place under the 12th Plan document that includes preventing discrimination against disabled people at work place and providing them loans for education as well as buying assistive devices like screen readers or artificial lenses, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi