Disabled need to be treated more sensitively: Kumari Selja
New Delhi: People with disabilities must be given equal opportunities to contribute to society and treated more sensitively, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Kumari Selja said here Thursday.
"People with disability must be given opportunities to contribute equally to the society... As a society, all of us have to become sensitive partners with the disabled people," Selja said.
The minister was speaking at the National Convention for Youth with Disabilities organised by the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People. The event saw participation from disabled students from various colleges and universities across the country.
Calling the disabled students "future role models", Selja said they would have to excel in whatever field they opt for to become its brand ambassadors.
"Your story will create awareness and help break stereotypes that charity and sympathy are related to disability," she said.
She added that people in India are not as sensitive towards the disabled and even within families the disabled member is considered as a burden.
Speaking about the welfare measures, Selja said her ministry has urged the government to allocate in the 12th Five Year Plan document three percent of the total resources to the disabled.
"Major expansions" will take place under the 12th Plan document that includes preventing discrimination against disabled people at work place and providing them loans for education as well as buying assistive devices like screen readers or artificial lenses, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery