Disclose details about Anderson extradition: CIC to MEA
New Delhi: Overuling objections, the CIC
has directed External Affairs Ministry to disclose the
communication between it and CBI on the issue of extradition
of the then Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson in the Bhopal
Gas tragedy case.
The Central Information Commission(CIC) held that the
sub-judice factor cited by the Ministry cannot be a sufficient
ground for denying information to public.
The External Affairs Ministry had objected to the
disclosure of correspondence exchanged between it and CBI,
saying it could adversely affect the Anderson extradition case
as the matter is still sub-judice. The Ministry also said that
it has not spent any money in the case.
Information Commissioner Annapurna Dixit said the
matter is of significance to the general public especially to
the families of the victims who have been awaiting justice for
the past 26 years.
The CIC direction came on an RTI application filed by
Delhi`s Batla House resident Afroz Alam `Sahil` who wanted
details of the communication exchanged between the Ministry
and CBI on Anderson`s extradition and the details of the money
spent till date by the Ministry in the Bhopal case.
"It is also a matter of general awareness that the
case related to the extradition of Mr Warren Anderson has been
heard and judgment reserved by the Supreme Court recently.
Therefore no question of impeding the process of extradition
arises," Dixit said in her order.
"The commission directs the public authority to
provide all the information as available with them in their
official records relating to the matter, and as sought by the
complainant, by or within June 10, 2011," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing