Disclose officials with dubious integrity: CIC
New Delhi: The Central Information
Commission has directed the CBI to make public names of its
officials with "dubious integrity".
The transparency panel also directed the agency to
make public list of officials against whom complaints are
registered and facing enquiries.
The case relates to an RTI application filed by Port
Blair-based lawyer Sujit Kumar Mazumder who had sought to know
from the CBI details of officers whose names were placed in
the list of "doubtful integrity" during period January 2006 to
date. The agency said no such information is maintained.
He also sought to know names of officials against whom
inquiries are going on, but was refused by the CBI on the
grounds that it is personal information which has no relation
with any public activity.
Rejecting the arguments, the CIC held, "every public
authority is required to have information including details of
any complaints registered or departmental enquiry initiated
and conducted against any of its officers as a matter of
record and more so because such officers are public servants
discharging public function".
Information Commissioner Shailesh Gandhi said any
complaint registered and taken cognisance of or inquiry
conducted by any authority is "necessarily a public activity".
"Disclosure of such information cannot be construed as
unwarranted invasion of privacy of the officer concerned, as
it concerns issues raised in the exercise of his public
activity as a public servant," Gandhi said while directing the
CBI to provide information before August 10.
He said such officer is accountable to the public and
therefore, every citizen has the right to obtain information
that may affect the officer`s credibility and integrity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof