‘Disclose reasons for accepting Aarushi case’
New Delhi: Why did the CBI decide to take up
the Aarushi murder case while it has refused other such cases?
The Central Information Commission has directed the
premier agency to disclose the reasons for agreeing to carry
out probe into much-hyped murders of a 14-year old girl
Aarushi Talwar and servant Hemraj.
The case relates to an RTI application filed by one
Raghunath Prasad Gupta of Ballia, Uttar Pradesh who sought to
know from the agency the reasons for taking over probe in the
The CBI had provided partial information while refused
most of it, saying that the details sought do not come under
the definition of information under the RTI Act.
During the hearing, Gupta said he wanted to know whether
the grounds on which the Arushi murder case had been taken up
by the agency were any different from the reasons on which
the previous murder case under reference has been refused.
"We think that this is a very legitimate query. Since all
decision by public authorities are expected to be based on
objective reasons, there is no harm in the CBI providing him
with the copies of the relevant records in which competent
authorities had decided to accept the Aarushi murder case for
investigation," Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda
Mishra said ordering to disclose information within 10 days.
Aarushi, daughter of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur
Talwar, was found dead with her throat slit in her home at
Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on May 16, 2008. A day later body of
their servant Hemraj was also found on their roof.
The CBI took over probe on May 29, 2008. After probing
the murder for over two and half years, CBI had filed its
closure report in the Ghaziabad Special CBI court. The court
had, however, rejected the CBI closure report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi