‘Disclose reasons for accepting Aarushi case’
New Delhi: Why did the CBI decide to take up
the Aarushi murder case while it has refused other such cases?
The Central Information Commission has directed the
premier agency to disclose the reasons for agreeing to carry
out probe into much-hyped murders of a 14-year old girl
Aarushi Talwar and servant Hemraj.
The case relates to an RTI application filed by one
Raghunath Prasad Gupta of Ballia, Uttar Pradesh who sought to
know from the agency the reasons for taking over probe in the
The CBI had provided partial information while refused
most of it, saying that the details sought do not come under
the definition of information under the RTI Act.
During the hearing, Gupta said he wanted to know whether
the grounds on which the Arushi murder case had been taken up
by the agency were any different from the reasons on which
the previous murder case under reference has been refused.
"We think that this is a very legitimate query. Since all
decision by public authorities are expected to be based on
objective reasons, there is no harm in the CBI providing him
with the copies of the relevant records in which competent
authorities had decided to accept the Aarushi murder case for
investigation," Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda
Mishra said ordering to disclose information within 10 days.
Aarushi, daughter of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur
Talwar, was found dead with her throat slit in her home at
Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on May 16, 2008. A day later body of
their servant Hemraj was also found on their roof.
The CBI took over probe on May 29, 2008. After probing
the murder for over two and half years, CBI had filed its
closure report in the Ghaziabad Special CBI court. The court
had, however, rejected the CBI closure report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees