Discussion on price rise without voting useless
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Wednesday said it was useless
to hold another discussion on price rise unless there is
voting and suggested measures like reducing petrol prices,
banning of forward trading of essential commodities and
strengthening PDS to bring down prices.
"Left parties feel there is no use of holding another
discussion on price rise. Already two discussions have taken
place on the issue in both the last two sessions of
Parliament... but the government has not initiated any
concrete steps to check inflation and price rise," CPI-M
leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament.
He said in order to put pressure on the government to
initiate concrete steps to curb inflation, any discussion on
price rise was "worthless".
"The discussion should only be held under the rule which
entails voting, so that there is pressure built on the
government to initiate concrete steps to curb inflation and
check price rise," he said.
Yechury suggested that all forward trading of food
commodities be banned and the taxes on petrol and diesel be
reduced to help bring down their prices, besides strengthening
public distribution system to distribute essential
"The government`s plea of under-recoveries is not
justified. The government is getting taxes of Rs 1.3 lakh
crores from petrol and diesel and the subsidy is only of Rs
40,000 crores. The government is making profit of Rs 90,000
crores and putting the burden on the common man," he said.
Yechury also called for bringing back the black money
stashed away abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India