Discussion on price rise without voting useless
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Wednesday said it was useless
to hold another discussion on price rise unless there is
voting and suggested measures like reducing petrol prices,
banning of forward trading of essential commodities and
strengthening PDS to bring down prices.
"Left parties feel there is no use of holding another
discussion on price rise. Already two discussions have taken
place on the issue in both the last two sessions of
Parliament... but the government has not initiated any
concrete steps to check inflation and price rise," CPI-M
leader Sitaram Yechury told reporters outside Parliament.
He said in order to put pressure on the government to
initiate concrete steps to curb inflation, any discussion on
price rise was "worthless".
"The discussion should only be held under the rule which
entails voting, so that there is pressure built on the
government to initiate concrete steps to curb inflation and
check price rise," he said.
Yechury suggested that all forward trading of food
commodities be banned and the taxes on petrol and diesel be
reduced to help bring down their prices, besides strengthening
public distribution system to distribute essential
"The government`s plea of under-recoveries is not
justified. The government is getting taxes of Rs 1.3 lakh
crores from petrol and diesel and the subsidy is only of Rs
40,000 crores. The government is making profit of Rs 90,000
crores and putting the burden on the common man," he said.
Yechury also called for bringing back the black money
stashed away abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing