Disgruntled man at Anna fast tries self-immolation
New Delhi: A "disgruntled" volunteer of Team Anna on Sunday attempted self-immolation at the fast site of Anna Hazare and yoga guru Ramdev alleging that he was mistreated by prominent members of India Against Corruption.
The volunteer, donning a Team Anna T-shirt and cap and carrying a mega phone, surfaced at the media enclosure of the protest site at Jantar Mantar around 12:15 PM when a close aide of Ramdev was speaking on black money.
The youth started speaking through his megaphone demanding that he be heard by both Hazare and Ramdev but was prevented by Ramdev`s volunteers.
While he was being pacified, he alleged that he was mistreated by a prominent Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal.
He then pulled out a bottle of a kerosene and poured on him. While he took a lighter to set himself on fire, the volunteers and some media persons snatched the lighter from him.
He was heard telling that he would commit suicide at home if he was not heard by Hazare and Ramdev or allowed to commit suicide in Jantar Mantar. He was whisked away by police.
Kejriwal could not be contacted as he was on the dais on fast along with Hazare and Ramdev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!