Disgruntled man at Anna fast tries self-immolation
New Delhi: A "disgruntled" volunteer of Team Anna on Sunday attempted self-immolation at the fast site of Anna Hazare and yoga guru Ramdev alleging that he was mistreated by prominent members of India Against Corruption.
The volunteer, donning a Team Anna T-shirt and cap and carrying a mega phone, surfaced at the media enclosure of the protest site at Jantar Mantar around 12:15 PM when a close aide of Ramdev was speaking on black money.
The youth started speaking through his megaphone demanding that he be heard by both Hazare and Ramdev but was prevented by Ramdev`s volunteers.
While he was being pacified, he alleged that he was mistreated by a prominent Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal.
He then pulled out a bottle of a kerosene and poured on him. While he took a lighter to set himself on fire, the volunteers and some media persons snatched the lighter from him.
He was heard telling that he would commit suicide at home if he was not heard by Hazare and Ramdev or allowed to commit suicide in Jantar Mantar. He was whisked away by police.
Kejriwal could not be contacted as he was on the dais on fast along with Hazare and Ramdev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview