Disgruntled man at Anna fast tries self-immolation
New Delhi: A "disgruntled" volunteer of Team Anna on Sunday attempted self-immolation at the fast site of Anna Hazare and yoga guru Ramdev alleging that he was mistreated by prominent members of India Against Corruption.
The volunteer, donning a Team Anna T-shirt and cap and carrying a mega phone, surfaced at the media enclosure of the protest site at Jantar Mantar around 12:15 PM when a close aide of Ramdev was speaking on black money.
The youth started speaking through his megaphone demanding that he be heard by both Hazare and Ramdev but was prevented by Ramdev`s volunteers.
While he was being pacified, he alleged that he was mistreated by a prominent Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal.
He then pulled out a bottle of a kerosene and poured on him. While he took a lighter to set himself on fire, the volunteers and some media persons snatched the lighter from him.
He was heard telling that he would commit suicide at home if he was not heard by Hazare and Ramdev or allowed to commit suicide in Jantar Mantar. He was whisked away by police.
Kejriwal could not be contacted as he was on the dais on fast along with Hazare and Ramdev.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid