`Dishonour killing is north Indian phenomenon`
New Delhi: As the Government contemplates laws to tackle dishonour killings, a new study shows that the scourge is mostly a north Indian phenomenon.
The study commissioned by the National Commission for Women (NCW) and carried out by NGO `Shakti Vahini` profiled 560 cases which reflected that dishonour killing is a north Indian phenomenon, Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath said informed the Rajya Sabha today.
The study reveals that in 88.93 percent of the total 560 cases surveyed, the perpetrators of the crimes were from the girl`s family, she said in a written reply.
It further says that dishonour killings have been reported mostly from those areas where the Khap Panchayats are active.
Out of the 560 cases where couples were threatened, 121 persons have been killed. The report mentions that dishonour killings are less about the gotra issue and more about
Violence and threatening of couples has been reported both from rural and urban areas and from almost all sections of the society.
The reaction to the inter-caste marriages is much stronger and violent when the girl marries a Dalit or to a lower caste than her own.
With a spurt in incidents of dishonour killings across the country, the Government has decided to set up a Group of Ministers (GoM) to consider amendments to the law to deal with the issue and said the bill for that will be brought in the Monsoon Session of Parliament.
Apart from a Group of Ministers (GoM), views will also be sought from states to the proposed amendments to IPC and CrPC to deal with the killings.
The amendments will seek to bring dishonour killings under the definition of murder by amending the Indian Penal Code.
It would also seek to amend the Indian Evidence Act which would bring the onus on Khap Panchayats to prove their innocence in any such case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video