Dismantle terror camps to improve ties: Antony to Pak
Thiruvananthapuram: Defence Minister A K
Antony on Monday said it would be difficult to improve ties with
Pakistan unless it made "serious" and "sincere" efforts to
dismantle terror camps operating from its soil.
"The terrorist camps operating from Pakistan was the main
impediment to improve India-Pakistan relations," he said.
Noting that Pakistan was still pushing trained terrorists
into Jammu and Kashmir, he described it as a matter of
"serious concern" and that necessary steps were being taken
to prevent it.
As a policy, he said, India was not for any confrontation
with its neighbours. "We want to avoid strained relationships
with our neighbours and to improve ties."
To a query on avoiding middlemen in defence deals, Antony
said the government had been successful in its attempt so far
"to a great extent".
"Whenever there was a complaint, the government had acted
swiftly and ordered a probe," he said.
On the recent hijack of two ships with Indians aboard by
Somalian pirates, Antony said it was a matter of serious
"Even after the world community and marine forces of
nations, including US, Russia, China and UK..... these things
are happening. Indian Navy is also actively involved in the
anti-piracy operations on the Somalia coast," he said.
He added that since the pirates keep changing their
strategies, new strategies will have to be devised to tackle
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day