Disruptions affect normal functioning of democracy: Pranab Mukherjee
Shillong: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday said "disruption" has become the "fourth D" besides debate, dissension and decision in India`s democracy which is affecting the normal functioning of parliamentary democracy.
"Nowadays, I find that a fourth `D` has surreptitiously encroached into the arena of democracy, which is disruption," the President said addressing the special session of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly.
Drawing references to the frequent disruptions in the Parliament and in state Assemblies, Mukherjee said the fourth D denies every elected member a chance to express his/her views on the floor of the House.
"If we do not do our duty and indulge in indiscipline and involve in disruption of proceedings of the House, it is a great betrayal to the people," he said.
The President said the best way an elected member can contribute and do justice to the people who elected him/her is "never to disrupt" and allow others to speak.
Elaborating on the importance of the other three Ds, he said, "Every issue is to be debated on the floor of the House. Members have every right to put their dissenting views but after debate, a decision has to be taken and implemented."
"As elected representatives, I believe, I learnt one lesson that a Parliamentarian must do, which is, not to miss a session, never disrupt and allow others to speak," he said.
Elaborating on the ill effects of the fourth D, Mukherjee said, "Every private member and individual who wants to express views, are gagged by those who come to the Well of the House defying the rulings and instructions of the Speaker."
Defining democracy as the most "sophisticated instrument of modern statecraft", Mukherjee said. "If members indulge in disruption, how can democracy function. (It is) nothing, but an objectionable factor in the normal functioning of parliamentary democracy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi