Disruptions in Rajya Sabha over calls for PM`s resignation
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was disrupted on Tuesday as the BJP raised a din over allegations of interference in the functioning of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation.
The House was first adjourned till 12 noon and then till 2 pm.
Bharatiya Janata Party members came near the Speaker`s chair soon after the House met after its first adjournment and raised slogans demanding the Prime Minister`s resignation.
They also demanded the removal of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar.
Members from some other parties also sought to raise their own issues but nothing could be heard in the din.
As the unruly scenes continued, Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien adjourned the House till 2 pm.
BJP has alleged that Ashwini Kumar and the Prime Minister`s Office had interfered with the work of CBI in the coal block allocation controversy. The party has sought a statement from the government on the issue.
Chairman Hamid Ansari had to adjourn the House till 12 noon after members of the BJP and some other parties did not allow Question Hour to commence and instead raised their own demands.
As soon as the house met for the day, Ansari had conveyed the good wishes of the Upper House to the elected representatives of Panchayati Raj institutions to mark Panchayati Raj Divas on April 24.
"The impact of the 73rd amendment in rural India is very much visible today as it has devolved power to the people at village level," Ansari said.
He later asked the House to take up Question Hour but members from BJP and some other parties were on their feet with their respective demands.
The Chairman asked opposition members to allow the Question Hour to proceed. As they did not relent, he adjourned the House till 12 noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS