Distress migration from rural areas have gone down: Ramesh
New Delhi: Distress migration from rural areas have gone down due to implementation of Centre`s ambitious rural job scheme, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Friday.
"There is ample evidence to show that migration from Bihar to Punjab has actually come down.
"There is clear evidence that whether it is from Odisha, whether it is from Bihar or whether it is in states like Andhra Pradesh or Karnataka-- the Bellary region or the Mahboob Nagar region which had traditionally been hotspots of distress migration-- distress migration has in fact come down," he said citing the positive impact of MNREGA.
"I have collected revenue from all the trains go from Bihar to Punjab and I can assure that every mail and every express train run on this route is complaining about MNREGA as a single biggest source of drop in revenue for the Indian Railways," he said after releasing a book titled "The Long Road to Social Security" here.
Ramesh said the programme aims at enhancing livelihood security of people in rural areas have empowered the socially disadvantaged group of the country.
"In Bihar, Mushar community... Nothing has been done more for Mushahar`s dignity than MNREGA. Nothing has been more effective in empowering ex-bonded labourers and ex-manual scavengers in parts of Andhra Pradesh than MNREGA," he claimed.
Ramesh said that objectives of the programme are wage employment, creation of community assets and empowerment of gram panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves