District Rural Development Agency to be disbanded
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday announced
disbanding of the three-decade-old District Rural Development Agency (DRDA), an organ responsible for overseeing implementation of anti-poverty programmes of Rural Development Ministry.
The agency will now be rechristened and it will perform its role under Zila Parishads, the local elected bodies at the district level.
Announcing the decision here, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said the DRDAs, which were set up as independent societies in 1980, would be attached and function as part of the Zila Parishads.
"... There is the overwhelming view is that the DRDA should now function as professional units, professional cells, professional divisions of the Zila Parishads and not have a separate independent, autonomous existence through the Society`s Act," he said in his concluding remarks at the National Conference of Project Directors of DRDAs here.
"As of April 1, 2014, the DRDAs as constituted today under the Society`s Act will not exist," he said, adding there would be state rural development agencies to deal with the issues like staffing and functioning of the district rural development planning units.
The decision to disband the DRDA was taken on the recommendation of a committee constituted under the chairmanship of V Ramchandran, Chairmen- Emeritus, Centre for Management Development, Thiruvananthapuram with the objective of strengthening and professionalising DRDA to meet the challenge of rural development in the present context.
Ramachandran-led panel had submitted its report in March 2012.
Ramesh said the new name for the DRDAs that exist today has not been finalised and these can be called as the District Rural Development Units or District Rural Development Planning Units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre