Diversion of agricultural land raised in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of diversion of agricultural land for other purposes was raised in Rajya Sabha Monday, with a TDP member demanding steps to check the trend.
Through a Special Mention, YS Chowdary (TDP) said conversion of agricultural land for non-agricultural purposes should be brought under check.
In another Special Mention, Janardhan Waghmare (NCP) demanded setting up of a mechanism so that the wealth of ashrams and temples could be "properly" utilised for welfare measures.
Demands for making defamation laws more stringent was also made by Shantaram Naik (Cong), while Ambeth Rajan (BSP) sought cash benefits to malnourished women and children.
Ram Kripal Yadav (RJD) demanded inclusion of certain castes in Bihar in the SC/ST category. VJ Darda (Cong) wanted more emphasis on health, education and energy.
Some BJP members did not lay their special mentions on the table despite being asked to do so by EMS Natchiappan, who was in the Chair, and continued with their demand for discussion on FDI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees