Diversion of agricultural land raised in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of diversion of agricultural land for other purposes was raised in Rajya Sabha Monday, with a TDP member demanding steps to check the trend.
Through a Special Mention, YS Chowdary (TDP) said conversion of agricultural land for non-agricultural purposes should be brought under check.
In another Special Mention, Janardhan Waghmare (NCP) demanded setting up of a mechanism so that the wealth of ashrams and temples could be "properly" utilised for welfare measures.
Demands for making defamation laws more stringent was also made by Shantaram Naik (Cong), while Ambeth Rajan (BSP) sought cash benefits to malnourished women and children.
Ram Kripal Yadav (RJD) demanded inclusion of certain castes in Bihar in the SC/ST category. VJ Darda (Cong) wanted more emphasis on health, education and energy.
Some BJP members did not lay their special mentions on the table despite being asked to do so by EMS Natchiappan, who was in the Chair, and continued with their demand for discussion on FDI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE