Division in oppn ranks as Gowda attacks BJP
New Delhi: A division in the opposition ranks was visible on Monday with former prime minister HD Deve Gowda attacking the BJP and favouring mid-term Lok Sabha polls if the government was not able to ensure smoothly functioning of Parliament.
The JD(S) supremo also hit out at BJP saying that the Karnataka land scam was "bigger than 2G" and accused the main opposition of scuttling any discussion on the land scam by stalling the entire winter session of Parliament.
"Enough is enough. We cannot be party to disruption of the House in the coming Budget session. I have conveyed this at the meeting of 11 non-NDA, non-UPA secular parties here last week. I am hopeful that the Left and other parties would consider this request," he told reporters.
Observing that NDA had ruled the country for six years and they should know that Parliament cannot be disrupted endlessly, Gowda said "if the government is not able to smoothly conduct the functioning of Parliament, let them dissolve the House and go for fresh elections."
On the Karnataka land scam, Gowda said BJP was playing "double standards. On the one hand it is raising a hue and cry over the 2G scam and on the other, it is seriously involved in corrupt practices in Karnataka."
"The Karnataka scam is bigger than 2G. I had raised the land scam including that of the Bangalore Mysore Infrastructure Corridor project...," he said.
The former Prime Minister alleged that corruption involving Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa was to the extent of Rs 50,000 crore and demanded inquiry by all concerned Central departments.
He claimed that former Chief Minister S Bangarappa, who is now with Congress, was likely to join JD-S.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!