Diwali marks triumph of good over evil, light over darkness: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has greeted the nation on the auspicious occasion of Diwali, saying the festival marks the triumph of hope over despair, good over evil and light over darkness.
"On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen and to all friends of India, within the country and abroad," said President Mukherjee in his message.
"Diwali marks the triumph of hope over despair, good over evil and light over darkness. The fact that it is celebrated across India by people of different faiths is a strong re-affirmation of our secular traditions. May this year`s celebration strengthen the bonds of goodwill and brotherhood between us and further promote mutual understanding," he added.
President Mukherjee appealed to the people of the country to spread the message of compassion, love, brotherhood and peace on this occasion.
"Let us, on this day, dedicate ourselves to spreading the message of compassion, love, brotherhood and peace. May this Diwali be an occasion to bring the light of happiness and joy into the lives of the needy. Let us try and make this Diwali in an eco-friendly and pollution free manner," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra