DMK announced Rs 25 lakh to PM`s National Relief Fund
Chennai: The DMK on Saturday announced Rs 25 lakh aid to the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund for the people of rain-ravaged Uttarakhand.
Party Chief M Karunanidhi also appealed to DMK`s elected MPs and MLAs to contribute a month`s salary to the relief fund.
He said it was "heartening" to see stranded pilgrims from the state being rescued and brought back by Central and State governments.
In a statement, Karunanidhi recalled that the Prime Minister had appealed for contributions from the public on account of the magnitude of the tragedy in Uttarakhand even as the PM had allocated Rs 1000 crore towards relief activities.
He said Congress President Sonia Gandhi had also directed her party MPs to donate their one month salary.
"I wish to announce that a sum of Rs 25 lakh will be provided on behalf of DMK to relief fund being collected by the Central government. Besides, I request DMK MPs and MLAs to contribute their one month`s salary," he said.
DMK has 18 Lok Sabha MPs, seven members in Rajya Sabha and 23 MLAs in the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal