DMK announced Rs 25 lakh to PM`s National Relief Fund
Chennai: The DMK on Saturday announced Rs 25 lakh aid to the Prime Minister`s Relief Fund for the people of rain-ravaged Uttarakhand.
Party Chief M Karunanidhi also appealed to DMK`s elected MPs and MLAs to contribute a month`s salary to the relief fund.
He said it was "heartening" to see stranded pilgrims from the state being rescued and brought back by Central and State governments.
In a statement, Karunanidhi recalled that the Prime Minister had appealed for contributions from the public on account of the magnitude of the tragedy in Uttarakhand even as the PM had allocated Rs 1000 crore towards relief activities.
He said Congress President Sonia Gandhi had also directed her party MPs to donate their one month salary.
"I wish to announce that a sum of Rs 25 lakh will be provided on behalf of DMK to relief fund being collected by the Central government. Besides, I request DMK MPs and MLAs to contribute their one month`s salary," he said.
DMK has 18 Lok Sabha MPs, seven members in Rajya Sabha and 23 MLAs in the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'