DMK keeps up suspense over stand on FDI
Chennai: Continuing the suspense over its stand on any Opposition-sponsored resolution in Parliament against FDI in retail, crucial UPA ally DMK Wednesday said its decision would be taken keeping in mind the interest of small and medium traders.
"Small and medium retail traders in Tamil Nadu are apprehensive that Foreign Direct Investment would greatly affect them. We would discuss and take a decision on this (FDI) keeping their interest in mind," DMK President M Karunanidhi told reporters here.
To persistent queries on why DMK was maintaining a suspense on its stand over the FDI issue and whether it would support a no-confidence motion against the UPA Government, Karunanidhi, also a well-known screenplay writer, said: "I have written the script for more than 100 films. A film would be successful only if it has suspense."
When asked whether DMK would support Left parties and some other parties` proposed resolution with provision for voting in Parliament on FDI, he said the party`s views would be made known after consultations with DMK Parliamentary Party members.
Karunanidhi had yesterday said DMK`s stand on FDI in retail would be known when a Bill on it was brought before Parliament during the winter session beginning on November 22.
In case of voting, the support of DMK, the second largest UPA ally with 18 Lok Sabha MPs after the exit of Trinamool Congress, is crucial for the UPA.
DMK has opposed the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail sector and had even supported the nation-wide bandh called by various parties in September.
Karunanidhi had then said his party would support if the Opposition moved a resolution in Parliament against FDI in retail.
While Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has threatened a no-confidence motion, the Left parties have decided to move motions under voting rules in both Houses of Parliament to reject government`s decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP