DMK keeps up suspense over stand on FDI
Chennai: Continuing the suspense over its stand on any Opposition-sponsored resolution in Parliament against FDI in retail, crucial UPA ally DMK Wednesday said its decision would be taken keeping in mind the interest of small and medium traders.
"Small and medium retail traders in Tamil Nadu are apprehensive that Foreign Direct Investment would greatly affect them. We would discuss and take a decision on this (FDI) keeping their interest in mind," DMK President M Karunanidhi told reporters here.
To persistent queries on why DMK was maintaining a suspense on its stand over the FDI issue and whether it would support a no-confidence motion against the UPA Government, Karunanidhi, also a well-known screenplay writer, said: "I have written the script for more than 100 films. A film would be successful only if it has suspense."
When asked whether DMK would support Left parties and some other parties` proposed resolution with provision for voting in Parliament on FDI, he said the party`s views would be made known after consultations with DMK Parliamentary Party members.
Karunanidhi had yesterday said DMK`s stand on FDI in retail would be known when a Bill on it was brought before Parliament during the winter session beginning on November 22.
In case of voting, the support of DMK, the second largest UPA ally with 18 Lok Sabha MPs after the exit of Trinamool Congress, is crucial for the UPA.
DMK has opposed the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail sector and had even supported the nation-wide bandh called by various parties in September.
Karunanidhi had then said his party would support if the Opposition moved a resolution in Parliament against FDI in retail.
While Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has threatened a no-confidence motion, the Left parties have decided to move motions under voting rules in both Houses of Parliament to reject government`s decision on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report