DMK MPs to move privilege motion on `deny-Modi-visa` letter
Chennai: DMK members may move a privilege motion in the ensuing monsoon session of parliament against "misuse" of their signatures in a letter urging US President Barack Obama to deny visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, said the party spokesperson.
He said the party will look at the website www.65traitors.com that carries the scanned copy of a letter written to Obama and also the signatures of the 65 MPs who are alleged to have signed it. Many MPs have denied signing the letter and alleged their signatures have been forged.
"Our MPs plan to move a privilege motion in parliament in the ensuing session on the matter. It is a clear case of signature misuse. When asked about the letter and their signatures, our MPs say that they had appended their signatures for a different petition," TKS Elangovan, DMK`s Lok Sabha member and spokesperson, told IANS.
While he agrees the signatures of DMK MPs are genuine, Elangovan is unsure whether the original petition for a different issue was substituted with the Obama letter or signatures from earlier petitions have been attached to the controversial letter.
"I remember signing a petition on the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils. Certainly, I would have not signed the petition if it is about Modi visa to the US. I would have asked the person who had come with such a petition to approach the party leadership," a DMK MP told IANS, preferring anonymity.
He added: "Hereafter one has to insist typing out the letter brief at the top of additional sheets that carry the signatures."
Curiously as per the scanned copy of the letter available on www.65traitors.com, only two MPs have signed at the end of the letter (page 2) and signatures of all other MPs are on separate sheets.
On the www.65traitors.com issue, Elangovan said: "How can the MPs be termed as traitors? We will look at it and decide on the future course of action."
A Congress MP from Tamil Nadu told IANS: "I had signed the petition only after knowing the subject matter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling