DMK seeks time-bound implementation of Verma panel`s recommendations
Chennai: Key UPA ally DMK on Friday sought time-bound implementation of the Justice Verma Committee recommendations.
Without naming his arch rival and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who had demanded chemical castration besides detaining rape convicts under Goondas Act, DMK chief M Karunanidhi said it was "laudable" that the Committee had ignored such demands.
"It is laudable that the Committee has proposed prison term of 20 years and life-term for gang rape accused and ignored opinions like chemical castration (of the convicts) or detaining the accused under Goondas Act," he said, adding Centre should take steps to implement the recommendations early.
The 88-year-old leader in a statement said while many had urged death for rapists, he had called for holding rape-convicts in jail in solitary confinement for life.
He said while Committees appointed by governments take time and seek extension to submit reports, it was "laudable" that the Verma Committee had factored in the urgent need for its recommendations and had come out with a detailed report.
The Justice Verma Committee was appointed by the Central government to suggest amendments to existing laws on crimes against women in the wake of the brutal sexual assault on and subsequent death of a paramedical student in Delhi in December that had sparked a national outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir