DMK to support UPA govt on FDI with ‘bitterness`
Chennai: Breaking its silence, DMK on Tuesday decided to support with "bitterness" the UPA government in Parliament on FDI in retail sector issue in order to prevent "communal" forces coming to power.
"When this discussion comes in the Parliament, though there may be thousands of differences (between the UPA and the DMK on the issue), thinking about the unfavourable incidents that may emerge if this government falls at the Centre, it has been decided to support the UPA with bitterness", DMK Chief M Karunanidhi said in a three-page statement here.
The DMK backing to the contentious issue, comes as a huge relief to the Manmohan Singh government which is trying to muster support from various political parties.
Noting that if voting on the FDI in retail sector issue takes place in Parliament under rule 184, Karunanidhi said one cannot refuse that the UPA government may fall at the Centre.
Considering all these things and if suppose a dangerous situation arises to the UPA in Parliament, "communal forces" like BJP and other like minded parties may benefit out of it, he said.
"The UPA government has to continue at the Centre under these compelling circumstances", he said.
Noting that the Centre`s assurance that it would not thrust any state government to implement FDI in retail sector, Karunanidhi said it has been assured that the life of the farmers and small retailers would not be affected in Tamil Nadu.
"In a democratic country, when there is a party that was chosen by the people to run the government, only if it continues to run without any disruption -- public peace and economic development will occur enhancing the life of the common man", Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report