DMK to support UPA govt on FDI with ‘bitterness`
Chennai: Breaking its silence, DMK on Tuesday decided to support with "bitterness" the UPA government in Parliament on FDI in retail sector issue in order to prevent "communal" forces coming to power.
"When this discussion comes in the Parliament, though there may be thousands of differences (between the UPA and the DMK on the issue), thinking about the unfavourable incidents that may emerge if this government falls at the Centre, it has been decided to support the UPA with bitterness", DMK Chief M Karunanidhi said in a three-page statement here.
The DMK backing to the contentious issue, comes as a huge relief to the Manmohan Singh government which is trying to muster support from various political parties.
Noting that if voting on the FDI in retail sector issue takes place in Parliament under rule 184, Karunanidhi said one cannot refuse that the UPA government may fall at the Centre.
Considering all these things and if suppose a dangerous situation arises to the UPA in Parliament, "communal forces" like BJP and other like minded parties may benefit out of it, he said.
"The UPA government has to continue at the Centre under these compelling circumstances", he said.
Noting that the Centre`s assurance that it would not thrust any state government to implement FDI in retail sector, Karunanidhi said it has been assured that the life of the farmers and small retailers would not be affected in Tamil Nadu.
"In a democratic country, when there is a party that was chosen by the people to run the government, only if it continues to run without any disruption -- public peace and economic development will occur enhancing the life of the common man", Karunanidhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees