DMK`s Baalu to attend UPA anniversary celebrations
Chennai: DMK will make a token representation at the second anniversary celebrations of UPA-II in New Delhi on Sunday in which none of its six Union
Ministers will be present.
The DMK, the third largest constituent in the UPA coalition with 18 MPs, will be represented by its Parliamentary Party Leader TR Baalu at the function to be
held at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence this evening.
"DMK Parliamentary Party chief TR Baalu will attend it," party president M Karunanidhi told reporters here when asked who would represent DMK at the dinner.
Six DMK ministers, including two with cabinet rank -- Dayanidhi Maran and MK Alagiri, will not attend the dinner, which will see the participation of Congress president Sonia Gandhi and leaders of other allied parties.
Asked about the DMK-Congress ties, Karunanidhi said "It is not like what you think."
Sulking over his daughter and party MP Kanimozhi`s arrest, M Karunanidhi discussed with other leaders the issue of attending the celebrations till the small hours of the day.
DMK Ministers and MPs reached here from Delhi last night.
Sources said the decision was taken as the DMK is not in a celebratory mood with Kanimozhi in jail on bribery charges.
Upset over her arrest, Karunanidhi had on Friday said that he was in a position like that of any father whose daughter faced a similar situation for no fault of hers.
He had also said the DMK general council would decide on future ties with Congress.
Karunanidhi said he would be leaving for Delhi tomorrow to meet Kanimozhi.
He said he might not get an opportunity to meet UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list