DNA test confirms ND Tiwari as Rohit Shekhar’s biological father
New Delhi: In a huge embarrassment to veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari, the Delhi High Court on Friday made public the results of the DNA tests conducted on him, which confirmed that he is the biological father of Rohit Shekhar who had filed a paternity suit against him.
The court had earlier rejected Tiwari`s appeal to hold a trial in the paternity case and reveal results of his DNA tests only after it concludes.
The matching of Tiwari`s DNA samples with that of Rohit Shekhar and his mother Ujjawala Sharma has finally ended the paternity row involving the Congress leader.
The development is a big relief to Rohit Shekhar, who has fought a long legal battle with his biological father Tiwari to restore his mother’s honour and to be acknowledged as the Congress leader’s son.
Reacting to the court’s order Rohit’s mother Ujjawala Sharma said, “I am happy with today’s development. We will accept whatever the court decides for us. Today’s decision has restored our faith in the country’s judicial system.”
When asked by the reporters to react, Rohit Shekhar said, “I am neither happy nor sad. I will take what is rightfully mine.”
Meanwhile, Tiwari urged media and people to respect his privacy.
“I have every right to live my life my way. No one has the right to look into my private life. Please respect my privacy,” he said.
The Congress leader has also approached the Supreme Court for a clarification on the matter.
The Delhi High Court had last week rejected Tiwari`s plea seeking fresh trial and in-camera proceedings in the paternity case. The court said it will reveal the DNA test results on Friday.
87-year-old Tiwari, had given blood sample for the DNA test on May 29 at his residence in Dehradun following a Supreme Court order in the case.
Hyderabad-based Centre For DNA Finger Prints and Diagnostic has recently submitted in sealed cover the DNA reports of Tiwari, Rohit and his mother Ujjawala Sharma before the Delhi High Court.
The High Court, in its April 27 order, had ordered Tiwari to undergo the DNA test in the paternity suit and had also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the veteran leader.
Rohit Shekhar, 32, had in 2008 filed the suit claiming to be the biological son of Tiwari, 87.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened