Do EVMs need modification? SC asks EC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked
the Election Commission to decide within three weeks on
whether there is a need to modify Electronic Voting
Machine (EVM) so that a voter can verify and confirm his
A bench headed by Chief Justice S H Kapadia asked the
Commission to decide the representation made by a Shiv Sena
activist seeking modification in the machine so that a voter
could check that his vote has not been cast in wrong way and
he could get an acknowledgement slip after casting vote.
The court passed the order on a PIL filed by the
activist Rajendra Satyanarayan Gilda who alleged that the
Commission has failed to take any decision despite his
Advocate R R Deshpande, appearing for the politician,
said that a voter has the right to know that his votes has
gone in favour of the candidate to whom he voted and this
facility is not available in EVMs.
"Right to vote includes right to know or right to
verify that to whom vote given has really gone or whether it
is rightly gone in favour of the candidate to whom it was
intended by the voters," he said, adding that an
acknowledgement slip has to be provided to voters.
"In the present system of voting through EVMs there is
no such facility by which a voter can verify and confirm his
own voting. At present voter presses a button only but cannot
ascertain the actual voting. He is not sure that whether his
vote is recorded or not, if recorded whether it is recorded in
favour of the person to whom it was intended or not? Whether
it is valid or invalid and whether it is counted or not?" the
petitioner said in his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'