Do to Ganguly what was done to Tejpal: Kiran Bedi
Panaji: Retired IPS officer and activist Kiran Bedi tweeted Friday that Kolkata and Delhi Police must take tips from Goa Police, and handle the case against retired Supreme Court judge AK Ganguly like the sexual assault case against Tejpal.
Ganguly, who after retirement serves as the chairperson of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission, was Thursday found guilty of "unwelcome behaviour" by a panel of apex court judges. The panel produced a report after examining allegations of sexual assault against the retired judge by a law intern.
Bedi, the first woman officer in the Indian Police Service, tweeted Friday that Delhi and Kolkata Police could take lessons from Goa Police, who have been investigating the case of sexual assault against a young journalist by Tehelka magazine editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal.
After the email exchanges between the victim and former Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury leaked last month, Goa Police, acting proactively, registered a first information report after conducting a preliminary enquiry.
The statement of the woman journalist was later recorded in the presence of a judicial magistrate, and then police moved to arrest Tejpal.
"Delhi and Calcutta police can do what Goa Police did in Tehelka-Tejpal`s case! We wait to see how both respond, as also the complainant," Bedi tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded