Docs should protect every child, right from conception: APJ Abdul Kalam
New Delhi: An enlightened doctor can never be a conspirator in female foeticide and should be the protector of the child from conception to birth, former President APJ Abdul Kalam said here on Thursday.
He was speaking at a function to mark the National Girl Child Day which saw the government expressing concern over the declining child sex ratio in the country.
Noting that the girl child is a very important component of any family, Kalam suggested that those who enter into the medical profession should take the oath --"I promise to the society, my parents and my conscience that I will protect every human life from conception to birth".
The former President said that his study on the way of life and situation at home and the thinking of the youth in the country has revealed that "evolution of a happy home" will result into beauty of character in all members of the family.
Elaborating the happy home concept to the audience, majority of them are children, he said, "a beautiful home emanates from four dimensions--one comes from spiritual home, second comes from mother`s happiness, third comes from transparency of the home and the fourth comes from providing a clean and green environment".
"This combination of four traits indeed brings out happy home," he said.
Kalam asked children to make their mothers happy to evolve a happy home.
Observing that India is a society of 200 million families, and there was "a crying need" in the nation to develop a transparent society-- a corruption free society.
"....After all corruption emanates from a few homes. It is estimated, 30 per cent of our Indian homes are corrupt. That means approximately 60 million houses may be corrupt," he said and asked the children from such homes to sense it and persuade the family member not to become a victim of corruption using their love and affection.
"My conscience says, compared to any law against corruption, definitely this movement of the youth against corruption, will be extremely effective," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum