Docs show V K Singh`s year of birth as 1950: AG
New Delhi: At least five documents, including
one at the time of army chief General V K Singh`s
commissioning, show his date of birth as May 10, 1950, the
Attorney General has told the Defence Ministry following a row
over his age.
While the records showed two sets of dates of birth, the
Ministry had decided to take May 10, 1950 as against the
general`s claim that he was born a year later on May 10, 1951,
which, if recognised, would have given him an extra ten months
Defence Ministry documents accessed through RTI show that
as per a government note dated January 22, 1971, the batch of
Singh in the Indian Military Academy (IMA) completed its
training on June 6, 1970 and the list prepared showed "the
date of birth to be May 10, 1950".
In his opinion given to the Defence Ministry on army
chief`s petition to change his date of birth to May 10 1951,
the Attorney General has said that, "At least five documents
are referred to which show the date of birth as 1950, two of
which have emanated from Gen V K Singh himself."
He further stated that in the army list of 1974-75, the
date of birth is showed to be May 10, 1950.
On Gen Singh`s contention that May 10, 1950 date in his
UPSC form was filled up wrongly by his school teacher, the
Attorney General said that this, "makes the matter more
serious as it shows that the application required to be filled
in the candidate`s own handwriting was filled in by a teacher
and not by Gen Singh."
The army chief has filed a Statutory Complaint with the
Defence Minister seeking a change in his date of birth after
the Ministry issued an order on July 21 to say that May 10,
1950 will be treated as his date of birth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement