Doctor-population ratio at 1:2000 in India
New Delhi: Government on Tuesday said there was
one doctor in the country for every 2,000 population as there
were six lakh active allopathic practitioners in the country.
Providing the figures in the Rajya Sabha today, Minister
of Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad said that with
the doctor-population ratio of 1:2000, the government was
taking a number of steps to address the shortage of doctors,
specialists and faculty in the country.
He said as per information from the Medical Council of
India (MCI), the total number of doctors registered
(allopathic) in the country till July 31, 2011, is 8,56,065.
Listing the steps taken for increasing the number of
doctors, the minister said norms for setting up of a medical
college have been relaxed, intake capacity at MBBS level has
been increased from 150 to 250 and 46 new medical colleges
were set up between 2009-11.
Azad added the teacher-student ratio has been relaxed to
increase the seats at post-graduate level, maximum age for
appointment of faculty has been enhanced from 65 to 70 years
and DNB qualifications have been recognized for appointment to
various faculty posts in medical colleges.
Besides, he said, financial support to state medical
colleges is being provided under the scheme "Strengthening and
upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges" to increase
postgraduate seats in various disciplines or start new
postgraduate medical courses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing