Doctor`s certificate not enough to determine emergency: CAT
New Delhi: Whether a patient has been treated as an emergency case cannot be decided on the basis of the doctor`s certificate always, the CAT has held.
"Whether the case is of emergency nature or not is not always decided on the basis of the certificate of a doctor who treats the patient and performs the surgery," the principal bench of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) said.
The remark was made in a case in which a Railway employee had sought medical reimbursement of his wife`s treatment for knee replacement surgery by categorising it as an emergency case.
The tribunal agreed with the Railways` which had ruled out the knee replacement surgery as an emergency case as it was not a life threatening disease.
"By no stretch of imagination, a person who has been suffering from knee pain, however acute it is, can claim that he/she has been admitted in the hospital as an emergency case.
"Knee pain which requires complete knee replacement is not a disease which if not treated immediately will jeopardise his or her life. It is not like a road accident or acute heart attack," the bench presided by Member G George Paracken said.
Sardari Lal, a chief parcel supervisor in the Northern Railway, had claimed reimbursement of Rs 2.56 lakh contending that his wife underwent the surgery as the medical experts in Fortis had advised not to delay the same.
The Railways in their reply had contended that the case was not one of emergency as the discharge summary of Lal`s wife did not indicate any threat to her life and the knee problem had not developed overnight as she was suffering from it for over five years.
It had said `emergency cases` under the Railway Policy included those conditions or symptoms which arise suddenly and if not treated quickly could be dangerous to the health of the patient, like road accidents, other types of accidents, acute heart attack, etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried