Doctors collect Akansha`s drugs after autopsy doubts

Akansha Rathi, 32, was found dead at her parents` house in Sansad Vihar Apartment, located in south subcity Dwarka Oct 23.

New Delhi: Ten days after the mysterious death of Indore-based woman industrialist Akansha Rathi in Delhi, doctors have failed to reach any conclusion on the cause of her death. A team of Delhi hospital doctors on Thursday visited her house here to collect the medicines she was taking.

The doctors` team from the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital was accompanied by police officials.

Rathi, 32, was found dead at her parents` house in Sansad Vihar Apartment, located in south subcity Dwarka Oct 23. She was rushed to Rockland Hospital where doctors pronounced her dead. Her father informed the police.

Her autopsy was conducted at the DDU Hospital.

Preliminary investigations by police indicated Rathi committed suicide by hanging herself. A chunni (long scarf) was found alongside her body.

But doctors who conducted the autopsy failed to arrive at a conclusive cause of death, a week after her post-mortem examination.

"They have taken some samples of medicines that Akansha was taking. She was under depression and was undergoing medical treatment," Raju, a servant in the house, told a news agency.

Four doctors accompanied by police officers arrived at the house around 11 a.m. and were there for over half an hour, Raju said.

"They might be having some problems in compiling the post-mortem report, that`s why they visited the deceased`s house. It is a matter of investigation. Sometimes it takes time to provide the post-mortem report, especially in suicide cases," DDU Hospital Medical Superintendent Promila Gupta told the news agency.

"The report may be ready tomorrow (Friday)," Gupta said.

Akansha was a director in Rathi Iron and Steel firm in Indore. She went into depression after the death of her husband, Anirudh Rathi, in September in Indore due to cardiac arrest.

After the death of her husband, Akansha had filed a dowry harassment complaint against her in-laws in Indore Oct 16.

The probe into the dowry case stopped after Akansha`s death.

Delhi Police are awaiting the post-mortem report. "Our investigation is based on the post-mortem report which is still awaited," said Additional Commissioner of Police AK Ojha.

Akanksha`s family members alleged that Anirudh`s family was harassing her for dowry.

Anirudh`s family has claimed that he was completely under the influence of Akanksha.

"She took Anirudh to Indore from Delhi and forced him to live away from his parents," a close aide of Rathi family and Delhi-based businessman, Vinod Aggarwal, told the agency.

"Despite that, the Rathi family was helping the couple. They also spared an Indore unit for them to run. But they failed to run it smoothly and ultimately plunged into financial losses," Aggarwal claimed.

Anirudh and Akansha had met in London when they were studying and decided to marry in 2004.