Does CAG want to become PM? asks Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Friday took a dig at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai for hitting out at Manmohan Singh-led government for attempting to reduce the federal auditor to a mere accountant.
A day after Vinod Rai hit headlines for giving a hard-hitting speech at the Harvard Kennedy School, a war of words has been broken out among the CAG and political parties.
Replying to Rai’s `accountant` remark, whose reports on various scams had raised hackles of those in government, Digvijay Singh wondered if the CAG wanted to become Prime Minister then.
Singh said the CAG`s working is defined in the Constitution and everyone should do his or her work according to those definitions.
"If the judiciary will do the executive`s work, the CAG will formulate policies and the civil society will formulate laws, then how will democracy run? What does the CAG want to become if not an accountant? Does he intend to become the Prime Minister?" he added.
Meanwhile, the Bharatiya Janata Party has come out in favour of the CAG.
“I agree with what Vinod Rai has said, no doubt that he has strengthened the CAG,” said senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha.
On Thursday, Rai said the public auditor would endeavour to uncover instances of crony capitalism and counselled the government to support enterprises per se and not entrepreneurs.
Rai, who was been criticised by the Indian government for reports on various scams like in telecom, coal etc, said adding, the role of a public auditor cannot be confined to merely placing its report in Parliament.
He said, "Should we as public auditors limit our role to placing reports in Parliament or go beyond that and seek to sensitise public opinion on our audit observations especially so in social sector audits such as rural health, primary education, water pollution, environment, drinking water etc."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says