Does CAG want to become PM? asks Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Friday took a dig at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai for hitting out at Manmohan Singh-led government for attempting to reduce the federal auditor to a mere accountant.
A day after Vinod Rai hit headlines for giving a hard-hitting speech at the Harvard Kennedy School, a war of words has been broken out among the CAG and political parties.
Replying to Rai’s `accountant` remark, whose reports on various scams had raised hackles of those in government, Digvijay Singh wondered if the CAG wanted to become Prime Minister then.
Singh said the CAG`s working is defined in the Constitution and everyone should do his or her work according to those definitions.
"If the judiciary will do the executive`s work, the CAG will formulate policies and the civil society will formulate laws, then how will democracy run? What does the CAG want to become if not an accountant? Does he intend to become the Prime Minister?" he added.
Meanwhile, the Bharatiya Janata Party has come out in favour of the CAG.
“I agree with what Vinod Rai has said, no doubt that he has strengthened the CAG,” said senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha.
On Thursday, Rai said the public auditor would endeavour to uncover instances of crony capitalism and counselled the government to support enterprises per se and not entrepreneurs.
Rai, who was been criticised by the Indian government for reports on various scams like in telecom, coal etc, said adding, the role of a public auditor cannot be confined to merely placing its report in Parliament.
He said, "Should we as public auditors limit our role to placing reports in Parliament or go beyond that and seek to sensitise public opinion on our audit observations especially so in social sector audits such as rural health, primary education, water pollution, environment, drinking water etc."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why