‘Does Govt want Anna to sacrifice his life?’
New Delhi: With Anna Hazare`s fast for a strong Lokpal Bill entering its sixth day on Sunday, prominent social activist Medha Patkar asked the government if it wanted Anna to sacrifice his life, as they were not paying any heed to his demands.
Addressing a rally at the protest venue here, Patkar said: "Today our dreams have been shattered. Those who had sacrificed their lives for our country`s independence, would be wondering, how many more sacrifices the government wants them to make so as to save the country. We should ask this question today, do they want Anna to sacrifice his life. We should ask this question with all courage."
Patkar, who came to the spotlight due to the central role played by her in spearheading the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) movement, slammed the government for being insensitive towards the needs of the people, as she demanded the lawmakers to table and pass the Jan Lokpal Bill.
"Just ask them (the lawmakers) with all due respect that if they are our representatives then by representing us, state that you (the lawmakers) accept the Jan Lokpal Bill," she added.
Meanwhile, the officials were taking all precautionary steps to prevent the spread of any epidemic near the Ramlila Grounds.
"Anna ji is on hunger strike but the rest of the people are having all the foodstuffs and it is creating garbage and wastage on the ground. So, I would like to request everybody that whatever dustbins have been provided by the MCD (Municipal Corporation of Delhi), so as to avoid any spread of diseases," said Rajni Abbi, Mayor, New Delhi.
"And I have also come to see if there are any other problems related to mud at the backside (of the ground) and whatever landfills are needed, would be done today itself and so that there won’t be any problem of water logging here," she added.
The 74-year-old social activist is on a fast-unto-death protest along with thousands of his supporters at New Delhi`s Ramlila Maidan for a strong Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information