Dog breed that sniffed Osama to help Indian forces
New Delhi: Cousins of the special breed
canines, which assisted the elite US Navy SEALs in sniffing
out Osama bin Laden from his safe haven in Pakistan, will now
help Indian security forces in `find and fix` anti-Naxal
operations in dense forests and difficult terrains.
The imported dogs, a specialised breed of the Belgian
shepherds, also called `Malinois`, are reported to be the ones
which assisted the special US assault team during the
operation in the garrison town of Abbottabad where the special
forces lowered themselves from helicopters to storm the
al Qaeda leader`s lair.
"This is the first time that police and Central
security forces will be using canines in operations in the
Naxal hotbeds of the country - a practice in line with the
Israeli and NATO forces operating in Afghanistan and other
places. They find the target, which can either be a suspect
human or landmine, and alert their handlers thereby fixing the
unwanted element," a senior security officer involved in the
training of these sniffers said.
The breed that is being trained for the Indian security
forces is a litter of an Israeli male Malinois crossed with an
These guard dogs will accompany police and CRPF patrols
in the Maoist-affected areas where previous patrols have been
caught off guard and have suffered casualties because of
hidden landmines and surprise ambushes of the Naxal cadres.
The first batch of about seven dogs, imported last year,
have been trained by the specialised trainers of the
paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) in the rough
terrains of the Karnataka-Andhra Pradesh border.
The ITBP has a world-class facility near Chandigarh for
training dogs for Central security forces and police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore